Lotus Elevens racing in the Southwest division in the '60's

Forum for Division-wide news and discussions.
RHoenig

Lotus Elevens racing in the Southwest division in the '60's

Post by RHoenig » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:41 pm

Hi there from the hills of western Pa. I have been researching Lotus Eleven history for 40+ years and am currently trying to find info on #328, S-2 leMans. There is very little info to go on except the following: It was obtained in '70 or '71, out of Texas, from an unknown owner/driver that was active in SCCA events with it. He was involved in real estate and stopped racing when he hurt his leg on the job. The car was painted dark blue, could have raced with or without a headrest, had an open cockpit, had wobbly web rims (rare) and the body was not cut up for wider tires. The roll bar, when purchased was tall, full width, with front and back bracing ( mid '60's?). The car was in very good condition for an Eleven at time. It was raced in England in '57 and '58 ending with a wreck in '58. So we are working on its english history from then and when it came into the states. Mike Tomforde & his wife will be checkiing their records over the holidays for us ('61 divisionall champion with an Eleven). I have not been able to locate Jim Warren, another Eleven driver in the mid '60's. I have gone all thru the Green Valley Pics and records that I can find. In the '66 GVR Trans-Am there is a pic of the pits with a dark blue Eleven way in the background, but cannot find an entry for it.

Our questions for the members are:
Does anyone remember this car?
Is there an unofficial historian for your division that would have access to entry lists?
Are there archives from that time period?
I have a pic of the car from the '70's when purchased that can be e/m'd on request.
I have contacted the CVAR and several of the Sowdiv regions for their help also.

Any thoughts, leads, and recollections would be greatly appreciated.

All have a great day and many thanks

Regards

Russ Hoenig
13441 Olean Trail
Summerville, Pa.

814-379-3266
bofaus@windstream.net

Jack Marr

Re: Lotus Elevens racing in the Southwest division in the '6

Post by Jack Marr » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:44 am

Contact R. David Jones in Ft Worth. He has a pretty comprehensive collection of past SOWDIV entries and results. He used to race an 11, it might even be him!

Happy hunting!

RHoenig

Post by RHoenig » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:46 am

Thank you, have been intouch with both Jones and Folbre & have hopes their info will help. Any further thoughts always appreciated.

Regards

Russ Hoenig

RHoenig

Post by RHoenig » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:28 am

Hi there from soon to be green western Pa. We are still working on the history of Lotus Eleven #328, but thought you might like to see a list of other early Eleven owners/drivers that we have uncovered and in most cases talked with them or their spouses.
Reb Folbre
R. David Jones
Lindsey Marchbanks, Lubbock & Odessa
A. M. (Mike) Tomforde. He was your '61 G/M champion out of San Jacinto and Houston
Pete Sherman, Waco
Don Smith, Alamo
J. W. Rabb, Dallas
Jon Higgins, Willow Springs
Dr. Howard Smith, Marlin
Dr. G. G. Harris
Gene Nearburg, Dallas ( some conflicting info about his early racing cars)
J. C. Kilburn, Ft. Worth
Homer Rader Jr ( Lotus SW owner in the '60's)
Jim Warren, San Antonio & Houston

Have also talked with many other Eleven owners/drivers from La., Ala. & Ok that raced on your tracks. Lots of fun and many interesting stories.
Am looking for any info and pics of the above drivers. Also, very interested in Jim Warren, and Ed French racing out of Kansas City Mo in the early '60's sometimes in you area.
Appreciate your thoughts and my thanks
Regards
Russ Hoenig

RHoenig

Post by RHoenig » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:19 pm

Hi there from cold western Pa. and I am still looking into your past Lotus Eleven racing history.
In talking with Hart Green, he purchased and raced the Ed French Lotus Eleven until he wrecked (shortened the car) at Wentsville Mo. in '67. The Eleven was repaired and sold in '68 to Richard " Dick" Shere, of Houston in '68. My request to your region is for anyone with information or pictures of Dick Shere's Lotus Eleven to contact me and my thanks. Jones and Folbre have no recollection of this person.
Regards
Russ Hoenig
134441 Olean Trail
Summerville, Pa.
bofaus@windstream.net